St. Joan of Arc Parish is a growing community of
Roman Catholic Christians in the Chagrin Falls area.
We are a diverse, gifted and joyful people who
share a common belief in the Word of Jesus Christ.
Our Mission, like that of Jesus Christ and His apostles,
is to proclaim the Kingdom of God through living the gospel
and to grow in faith, holiness and service.
WE GATHER AS A CHRIST-CENTERED
CELEBRATE our faith and the presence of God in the
Eucharist and in one another.
IMITATE our Savior in His service to others.
TEACH our beliefs at all levels.
WELCOME the participation of all in our Christian fellowship.
Brief History of St. Joan of Arc Church
Saint Joan of Arc Parish began in 1948 as a mission of Saint Rita Parish in Solon. Monsignor Oldrich Mazanec built the first church building, a small structure facing East Washington Street, which now serves as a parish hall. He also built the present Church in 1961. In 1962 Archbishop Edward Hoban raised the mission of Saint Joan of Arc to parish status, naming Father John Wolf as its first pastor. The administration building/rectory was erected in 1963, the school in 1965, and the school addition in 1968.
The faculty residence was acquired in 1972 and is situated just west of the parish property. Father John Kinkopf was named Vicar Co-Adjutor on May 1, 1978 and became the second pastor on June 10, 1981, the date of Father Wolf’s retirement. Father Kinkopf served as pastor until he retired in August, 1988. Father John Olsavsky became pastor on September 1, 1988 and served until his retirement on February 1, 2006. On March 20, 2006, Father David Walkowiak came to St. Joan of Arc as its new pastor. He was installed as pastor on June 25, 2006 and served until he was installed as the Bishop of Grand Rapids, MI on June 18, 2013. Associate pastor of St. Joan of Arc, Father Gary J. Malin, was then appointed to become the next pastor of our parish. He was officially installed on August 24, 2013.
Construction on the Parish Life Center began in October of 1993 and was completed in August 1994. The renovation of the Church and the construction of the Gathering Area were completed with a dedication taking place on September 7, 1997. The refurbishment of the Parish Hall was completed in July of 1998. As it celebrates its golden jubilee in 2012, Saint Joan of Arc Parish has approximately 1800 families. The map in the center section of this directory gives the territorial boundaries of the parish.
Since 2002 our parish has been involved in the Vibrant Parish Life initiative of the Diocese of Cleveland. This initiative aims to make the Catholic Church a stronger witness and presence in our Chagrin Valley area through inter-parish cooperation. In 2007 Bishop Richard Lennon named Saint Joan of Arc and Holy Angels as cluster parishes to collaborate as one in Christ through the guidance of the Holy Spirit to serve our community with all the skills, expertise and resources at our disposal.